Web Soil Survey (WSS) provides soil data and its related information. The soil produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.
United States of Department of Agriculture (USDA)and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) provides vast information about soil-related data.
NCRCS’s official site has almost 95% of the countries soil data. It is maximum by any other soil researcher website.
Web Soil Survey
Anyone can get access to soil-related or other natural resources information on the NRCS site, it is updated and maintained online as the authoritative source of soil survey information.
Theories, principles used in soil survey:
It applies the principles of soil scienceand also from geomorphology, theories of soil formation, physical geography,and land use patterns.
Primary data for soil survey is done by field sampling and by remote sensing. Remote sensinguses the principle of aerial photography where field sampling is manually done.
Today latest technology based tablet used consist of digital aerial photos, LiDAR, topography, soil geodatabases, mapping keys and also many more gadgets are coming into the market.
Web Soil Survey key elements:
- A brief overview of how to conduct a survey related to soil.
- A general soil map in order to compare the sustainability of the soil.
- a detailed map with specific soil series.
- A sector on the proper use and management of soil.
- Table showing environmental conditions in the form of stats.
- tables containing land-based sustainability.
Soil Conservation Service (SCS):
SCS also called as Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that provides technical help to farmers and private landowners and managers.
The mission of Soil Conservation Service is to improve, protect, and conserve natural resources on private lands.
Programs Under SCS:
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program: Aim of this program providessupport to landowners to help them improve their soil, water including grazing lands, wetlands.
- Conservation Stewardship Program: The aim is to take care of organization who maintain a higher level of environmental.
- Regional Conservation Partnership Program: Its aim is to increase the regional or watershed scale projects.
- Agricultural Conservation Easement Program: the program is mainly focused on the subprograms like Grasslands Reserve Program, Farm, and Ranch Lands Protection Program. They give financial as well as technical help for environmental benefits.
- Healthy Forests Reserve Program: This program works on a contract basis 10-30 years of aim to improve biodiversity and decrease carbon emission.
Terms mainly focused on Web Soil Survey:
Soil, water, water management, water quality, watershed program, plants and animals, fish and wildlife, insects and pollinators, etc.
Advantages of Soli Survey:
The information in a soil survey can be used by farmers and ranchers to help findthat a particular soil type is suitable for crops or domestic animals and what type of soil management might be required.
An architect or engineer can use the engineering properties of soil to find whether it is suitable for a particular type of construction.
A homeowner can use the information for maintaining or constructing their garden, yard, or home.