The American Community Survey ( ACS ) is a nationwide survey that collects and produces information on social, economic, housing, and demographic characteristics of the nation’s population every year.
The ACS conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Census Bureau is a principal agency under U S federal statistical federal system. United States Census Bureau produces data about American people and the economy.
American Community Survey
This information provides an important tool for communities to use to see how they are changing.
Importance of ACS:
Most people probably never think about how local planners know where to target new development, or businesses get the data they need to plan for expansion. But if you have access to ACS then you can easily get data to expand your business.
Each survey is important because it is used to create a building block of statistics about communities in America.
An individual’s responses are combined with others’ responses to create and publish statistics for communities nationwide which can be useful in the private sector.
ACS used to help establish through a needs assessment, to develop general plans, research, education, and advocacy work.
How ACS works :
- ACS collects the data which includes social, economic, housing, and demographic data from almost each American citizens every year.
- Then the respondent information is stored either online or on the paper depending upon the available resources.
- All the information is sent to the U. S. Census Bureau where the data combined into statistics.
- The statistics are formed in the form of reports, tables, and applications.
- All the information is uploaded on the Census bureau website.
- Federal government agencies, states, tribal and local communities uses this data as per their needs.
Who uses ACS and for what purpose:
- Federal Agencies:
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs uses ACS estimates to evaluate the need for health care, education, and employment programs for those who have served in the military.
- The U.S. Department of Education conducts programs to develop adult education and literacy programs.
- State and Local Agencies:
- Planners and policymakers use up-to-date estimates to evaluate the need for new roads, hospitals, schools, senior services, and other basic services.
- Nongovernmental Organizations:
- The non-government organization produces reports, research papers, business plans, case studies, datasets, and software packages.
- They also used ACS data in order to get fund for the social project.
- Emergency Planners:
- During the natural disasters, they used this information to check the population of a particular area as well as their needs and many more.
- They can provide information so that good places to build offices or facilities, and information about people that might need their products or services.
- Educators, Journalists, Public:
- ACS in education is used to teach concepts and skills, such as statistical literacy, social studies, geography, and mathematics.
- Journalists use ACS estimates to highlight such as commuting and transportation, unemployment and earnings, education, and home ownership.
- People use ACS if they wanted to shift from one place to another so that by ACS data they can easily get every information about new places.
Read More – Google Survey
ACS making American citizens, business, and also other community life more easy by providing them each and every information.